So, I hear Valentine's Day is fast approaching. Personally I don't tend to make a big fuss, for me it's an excuse to indulge in good food, good wine and great company. Sometimes my husband and I exchange small gifts but this year we're just focusing on having a relaxing and enjoyable day together, no gifts required. I'm one of those people that are a nightmare to buy for. I always prefer experiences over objects. I'd much rather go on a picnic than get a new bracelet.
This year we'll be heading to the beach as a family, having a simple home made lunch, maybe a park visit for the kiddo, followed by a bottle or two of fancy vino for us and take away from our favourite restaurant for dinner. As laid back as I am about this holiday there is one thing I think is absolutely crucial on Valentine's Day, breakfast in bed. In motherhood it is a rare and sacred occasion and as such I've come up with something a little bit special and a little bit decadent.
I've combined a few elements here which I think work wonderfully together. Thick cut french toast, fresh strawberry and cream cheese filling, smothered in a Nutella fudge sauce. Use the best quality ingredients you can find and you're sure to have an amazing bed-feast!
So, what's on your Valentine's menu this year? And, do you have some grandiose romantic plans in the works?
Strawberries & Cream Stuffed French Toast With Nutella Fudge Sauce
An original recipe by A Rhubarb Rhapsody
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 20 Minutes
Yield: Serves 2Ingredients
- 4 slices of thick-cut, day old bread (I used ciabatta)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 125g/4.4oz cream cheese (about half a package of Philadelphia cream cheese)
- 125g/4.4oz fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup icing/superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1/4 cup cream
- butter for frying
1. In a mixing bowl whisk together the milk, flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar and the eggs. Set aside.
2. Roughly chop the cream cheese and place it in your food processor along with the vanilla extract. Sift the superfine sugar over the top. Blend until smooth.
4. Thickly spread the strawberry mixture onto one piece of bread, top with another piece of bread and repeat so you have two sandwiches.
5. Pour your egg and milk mixture into a deep sided dish (I used a pie dish). Place the sandwiches in the egg mixture and let them soak for 5-10minutes, turn and soak the other side for 5-10minutes too.
6. Get out a large heavy bottomed frying pan (skillet), and melt a knob of butter over low-medium heat.
|Ridiculously good market fresh butter.|
7. Place your eggy sandwiches in the frying pan, cooking for about 5 minutes each side or until lightly browned and cooked through. While these are cooking, make the Nutella fudge sauce.
8. To make the Nutella sauce, place the Nutella and cream in a small saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring constantly until combined and hot.
Serve french toast with freshly cut strawberries, a sprinkling of superfine sugar and a hefty dousing of Nutella fudge sauce! Enjoy!