Peach & Raspberry Meringue PuddingPrep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes (plus 10 minutes for soaking)
Yield: Serves 6
- 600ml warm milk
- 50g butter, coarsely chopped
- 150g fine fresh chopped breadcrumbs
- 80g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (*I used seeds of one vanilla bean and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract*)
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs, separated
- 250g raspberry jam (*use home-made or very good quality*)
- 650g yellow peaches, halved, stones removed and cut into wedges (*I finely sliced 3 large, white peaches and it was lovely*)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Stir warm milk and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until almost boiling, transfer to a bowl with breadcrumbs, 25gm sugar, vanilla and lemon rind and set aside to soak (10 minutes).
- Whisk egg yolks into breadcrumb mixture, pour into a buttered 1.5-litre baking dish, bake until just set (20-25 minutes), spread with jam and scatter with peach wedges.
- Whisk egg white and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes), then, whisking continuously, gradually add remaining sugar and whisk until stiff and glossy (2-3 minutes). Spoon in peaks over peaches and bake until golden brown (12-15 minutes). Serve hot.